Next LLI Forum
The Forum room is located on the second level of the Ernst Cultural Center, NOVA-Annandale Campus. Coffee, tea and light refreshments will be served at 9:30 a.m.
Aging in Place is for those members who want to live in their home for as long as possible. The web site contains Service Providers by category of service for easy access to multiple providers. Members may find the help they need to make living safer and more comfortable as the need arises. For members still considering the alternative options to Aging in Place, various options are also presented, such as moving to a “Village”, Senior Living Facility, Long Term Care Facilities and Nursing Homes.
LLI Aging in Place provides names and contacts for services and does not make recommendations. It is the member’s responsibility to contact the service provider and arrange for the service.
To access these services providers click on the title “Aging in Place Service Providers” above.
In 1999 LLI established a Student Scholarship Program at the Northern Virginia Community College-Annandale Campus to give much needed financial help to outstanding students. This is in appreciation and recognition of the support provided by the college to LLI, as well as an opportunity to support a most worthy cause.
2017 Annual Arts and Craft Exhibit
|Pat Daniels presents a thank you bouquet to Kyla Lupo after her last "in person" iPhone/iPad course. Kyla is moving to Illinois but plans to conduct video conferencing type classes for us in the fall. She will be missed as she has shared a wealth of technology knowledge with LLI throughout her many years of teaching with LLI.Â We wish her well.|
NVCC does not issue special permits for using the parking spaces designated for the handicapped on the Annandale campus. Appropriate parking permits issued by any state and the District of Columbia are honored. The permit must be properly displayed and used only by the person or persons to whom it is issued. There is no change to the handicap parking regulations on campus.
If the Fairfax County Public Schools (FCPS) cancel school for the day due to inclement weather, all LLI classes, special activity groups (SIGs), and forums are cancelled regardless of location. LLI morning activities are cancelled if the FCPS announces a 2-hour delay in class openings; LLI afternoon activities are cancelled if the FCPS announces early dismissal. Trips and social events will take place unless cancelled at the leaders' directions.
We started our search for our 2019 trip with more than 20 general destinations. In the first selection round, in October, you reduced this to five general destinations. The Study Travel Committee then researched those destinations to see what tour providers offered, based on 2018 travel data. This resulted in our review of more than 100 tours from approximately 18 tour providers. In our initial summary analysis, we identified 11 different types of tours that covered those 5 general destinations.
During December, you were asked, based on the summaries, to select up to 4 of those 11 categories of tours as ones of interest so that the Committee could provide additional specific research and recommendations on a reduced number of choices.
The resulting 5 selected tours, based on preference responses from almost 50 percent of our members, is as follows:
1. Rhine River Cruise - Netherlands to Switzerland including the Moselle River. We identified two versions of Rhine River cruises. This one is the classic full Rhine cruise and includes several days on the Moselle River in Germany. This was the most popular tour when considering 1st and 2nd choices, and also 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choices.
2. Rhine River Cruise - Netherlands to Vienna (Rhine, Main, and Danube Rivers). This version of the Rhine River cruise departs the Rhine about halfway (at Frankfurt) and then travels on the Main and Danube Rivers ending in Austria or even Hungary. This was the most popular 1st choice tour, and the second most popular considering 1st and 2nd, and also 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choices. Together, these two Rhine River related cruises had far more interest than any of the other destinations.
3. The Northern Tier National Parks - Rushmore and SW Parks. We identified two versions of tours in the Northern Tier Parks area. One visited Mr. Rushmore and the usual Northern Tier Parks (Yellowstone, Tetons, etc.), and the other continued further south to visit some of the Parks in the Southwest (e.g., Bryce and Grand Canyon). Both versions were popular, and when combined, this was the 3rd most popular destination behind the Rhine River cruises and tours in France. The longer version that includes the Southwest parks, however was the more popular of the two whether considering 1st choice, 1st and 2nd, or 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choices. Therefore, we will drop further consideration of the shorter version.
4. Seine River Cruise - Paris to Normandy. When we reviewed France, we identified three categories of trips that seemed well suited to our group. Two were river cruises (Seine and Loire), and one was a bus tour covering larger areas of France. Interestingly, none of these tours was very popular as a 1st choice, but both the river cruises were very popular as 2nd and 3rd choices. Consequently, we will continue to consider them. The Bus tour did not garner much interest, and it will be dropped for 2019.
5. Loire River Cruise - As noted above the cruise on the Loire was not a strong 1st choice, but picked up a lot of interest as a 2nd or 3rd choice.
Two more destinations had almost sufficient interest to be included in the top group. If time is available, we may include research on them in the next round for consideration.
1. Italy (Northern Regions and Cities) - We identified two types of tours that stayed primarily in the Northern area of Italy. One included visits to some of the major cities (e.g., Florence, Venice, and Rome) along with other areas, and the other focused strictly on the three major cities. The broader based tour offering was the more popular of the two, and we will not consider the cities only version further.
2. California Parks with Yosemite - We also identified two versions of tours in this area. One included just the usual California Parks, and the other added parks in the Southwest. The version that focused on the California Parks was slightly more popular, and we may continue to analyze that option if time is available.
As noted above, 4 of the 11 destinations did not garner sufficient interest to consider them further for 2019. These were the Northern Tier National Parks including Rushmore, but not including the extension to the Southwest, the France bus trip, California Parks including the extension to the Southwest, and the Italian tours focused just on the three major cities.
We hope that some of the top five were among your choices. The Study Travel Committee will now focus on the five key tours above and develop additional summary information and recommendations for our members. We hope to provide the information to you for consideration and selection during February.
If you are interested in helping to select our trip for 2019, join the Study Travel email list. To do so, contact Bob Huley at 703-534-4819 or firstname.lastname@example.org. In addition, we are looking for more help on the Study Travel Committee to evaluate destinations and tours for future trips and to provide the Study classes for our destinations. Please let Bob know if you are interested.
Our primary trip will be CIE’s 11-day tour “Dubrovnik to Venice.” This tour of the Adriatic coast will depart from Dulles on Monday, May 14, 2018, and return Friday, May 25, 2018. This will be an LLI Study Travel exclusive tour (i.e., not open to the public), but friends and family are welcome. For more information, click on the links for the tour flyer and tour information sheet. If you would like information on the tour, you can also contact Bob Huley. The tour is now open for reservations, but space is limited, particularly single rooms.
Our secondary trip will be Grand Circle Travel’s 14-day tour, “The Canadian Maritimes: Nova Scotia, New Brunswick & Prince Edward Island.” This tour will depart Wednesday, August 8, 2018, from Dulles, and the return will be Tuesday, August 21, 2018. For more information, click on the tour flyer and tour information sheet. If you would like information on the tour, you can also contact Bob Huley. The tour is now open for reservations, but space is limited.
Our primary trip was to Scotland, CIE’s 12-day "Scottish Isles and Glens" tour. We departed
on June 18 and returned on June 30. This was a LLI exclusive trip.
Our secondary trip is Grand Circle Travel/Grand Circle Cruise Lines 13-day tour "Cruising Burgundy & Provence to the Cote d'Azur." We departed on August 24 and returned on September 5.
To join the Study Travel email list and get announcements of Study Travel activities, contact Bob Huley at 703-534-4819 or
email@example.com. You can also contact Bob if you have questions about our 2018 trips.
Pictures from 2016 Annual Valentine's Day Party
Red & Green
If you have any questions about our SIG, please contact your co-chairs Patti (firstname.lastname@example.org)or Nancy (email@example.com).