LLI Study Travel 2018 - Dubrovnik to Venice Trip
The group selected CIE's Dubrovnik to Venice as our primary trip for 2018. To learn more, go to the detailed itinerary and information for the 2017 version of the trip. We expect the 2018 tour to be identical, but it is subject to change.
We are currently reserving this as an "exclusive" LLI tour, i.e., our tour date will be restricted to LLI members (and friends and family). To maintain it as an exclusive trip, however, we will need to meet certain tour registration commitments in a timely manner.
CIE has a business relationship with AAA's travel service, and we will once again actually be making our reservations through AAA rather than going directly to CIE. Our AAA travel agent, Beth Hall-Fitch, is in the AAA Tysons Corner office (Old Courthouse Road in Vienna, VA). AAA will handle all of the invoicing for the trip and will be our interface with CIE.
Base Trip: 11 days/10-nights.
Dates: Depart from Dulles on Monday, May 14, 2018, and return on Friday, May 25, 2018 (if using group air). (Note: The flyer shows a start date of May 15. This is Day 1 in Dubrovnik.)
Land Tour Cost :
$2,611 $2440 per person
double occupancy for the land tour (plus $1,042 $974 single
supplement, i.e., a total $3,653 $3414 for solos). Yes, this single supplement is pricey, so we
encourage and will assist in roommate matching. The number of single rooms will be
· Note: CIE will not publicly announce their 2018 tour dates, prices, and itinerary for this trip for several months, perhaps as late as August. Our rate above is price protected, however. It won't go up, and if the final public price is less, it will go down.
Air Fare : The CIE group air quote is $1,065 per person, economy class, on United. AAA will make the reservations for those wishing to use the CIE group air. The Group rates may be cheaper than the published fares (current published cost on UA is $1,544). Upgrades and individual flight arrangements (e.g., breakaways) will be possible working through AAA (or on your own).
Deposit: $250 per person fully refundable up to 100 days prior to departure. See explanation of the optional Early Commitment Benefit program below. Deposit should be made by major credit card.
Final Payment: Due 65 days prior to departure. Final payment for the land portion of the trip should be made by major credit card. AAA will coordinate the invoicing. Note that the full group airfare cost must be paid approximately 100 days prior to departure because at that point the group airfare tickets become non-refundable.
Travel Insurance: CIE offers a comprehensive travel protection plan administered by Trip Mate, a major trip insurance group. The special group rate for 2018 is $209 per person, which appears to be a bargain. If purchased at the same time as the deposit, it covers pre-existing conditions. It may also be purchased later, but pre-existing conditions would not be "waived." We strongly encourage all of our members to purchase travel insurance, if not from CIE, then from another travel insurance provider.
Discounts: CIE offers two types of discounts/incentives:
· Early Commitment Benefit: CIE has a discount option that will be available to members of our group who make their deposit by July 31, 2017 (previously June 30), and indicate they want the discount. This discount is 5% off the land tour cost shown above (i.e., approximately $130 for our tour). This discount does NOT require paying in full prior to the normal final payment date. Under this Early Commitment Benefit program, however, the deposit is nonrefundable.
· Group incentive: CIE provides one "free" land tour (i.e., not including air) for approximately every 16 paid reservations. As is our practice in LLI, we will share this incentive among all travelers upon return.
CIE will offer extra night(s) in Venice. Our hotel in Venice will likely be the Bauer Palladio Hotel and Spa. Final price for post night rate is still being negotiated. This can probably be arranged for a group or can be added to individual bookings. We will also explore options with AAA. If you are interested in adding one or more extra nights in Venice, let me know, and we will try to get a group together. You do not have to commit to a post-trip stay in Venice when you make your deposit.
How to Make Reservations:
· Contact our AAA travel representative - Beth Hall-Fitch at 703-790-2600 x-4462067
o Also email@example.com
o Also 8300 Old Courthouse Road, Vienna, VA 22182
· Tell Beth you are with the LLI Dubrovnik to Venice tour group.
· Provide the registration information she requests, e.g.,
o full name as it appears on your passport,
o date of birth (TSA requirement),
o passport number (may not be requested initially, but remember your passport must be valid at least 6 months from the return date, i.e., until December 1, 2018),
o contact information (address, telephone, and email).
· Decide if you want to take the CIE offered travel insurance.
· Make deposit payment arrangements, i.e., provide credit card information.
· State whether you want to participate in the Early Commitment Benefit program.
· Send Bob Huley an email when you have made your deposit. Thanks!